Monday, July 09, 2012

Solidarity

Saturday evening my family and I went out to run a few errands and grab a quick dinner. While riding in the car I, of course, was working away on a sock as I usually do on such occasions. At one point during this ride my husband turns to me and says, "Babe, I'm not sure, but I think there's a person knitting in the car in front of us." Let's skip past the part where we analyze how much I must knit that my husband is so familiar with the action that he can spot a person in the car in front of him doing it.

So then we did what any normal, sane people do, which is try desperately to get into the other lane and next to the car to confirm that, yes, indeed there is another car knitter on the road. It looked as if it wasn't going to happen until, gloriously, the cars parted, the other car slowed and we verified that my husband can indeed spot a knitter at 100 yards. Unfortunately, they were pulling onto a ramp so we felt it might not be the safest to honk at them just so I could wave my sock at them in a show of solidarity.

But the point is that I did feel this solidarity with a complete stranger. It takes a certain level of Seriousness About Knitting to compel a person to carry around a project and work on it even on a short car ride. It takes an even higher level of crazy to do so on a 106 degree (41 Celsius) day. It gave me an almost embarrassing amount of delight to see her knitting away in the car next to me and an admittedly irrational feeling of, "there goes one of my tribe". So travel on mystery car knitter. May your journey be safe and your air conditioning plentiful.

Does anybody else have stories of spotting knitters in unexpected places? Does it give you as much irrational joy as it does me?

No comments: