Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lazy Sunday

It's been an interesting week here at the Geeky Girl household. Lots of starting the new school year madness the past few weeks (my daughter is starting preschool three days a week - yikes). Then there were extra things like her dentist appointment and our snack day for preschool all happening at once. I thought we were just about to the other side of it when Friday evening Chloe came down with a fever and a cough. Boooooo. 

I generally think I do a pretty alright job with this whole being a parent thing. I enjoy most of it, never really minded changing diapers, have more stores of patience than I even realized, and just have never regretted having a kid. The one thing that makes me feel overwhelmingly lost at sea is when my child is sick. Don't get me wrong - I have the keeping her comfortable thing down - popsicles for the sore throat, a comfy little nest on the couch, cool wet cloths for a warm forehead, etc. I don't mind nursing. What gets me is the worrying

People, it takes every ounce of my self control not to constantly burst into tears and rush her to the doctor with every half degree change in her temperature. I lay awake at night analyzing cough patterns and what they mean. Is her breathing shallower? Are her lips taking on a slightly blueish tinge? Oh wait, that's just from the popsicle. AHHHH! I hate it. Moving on.

The last time I posted I was lamenting the fact that I have another stocking to knit. I did what every mature adult would do...
Spunky Club Swaledale Fiber
"Eating Maine" colorway
I completely blew off starting and instead spent my free time spinning. This fiber is super rough so it will either become a felted bowl or a bag of some sort. I have about 2 oz. left to spin before I ply it up.

Now I did finally make myself start the last stocking. A big motivating factor was seeing the two finished and blocked stockings together. I'll admit to just laying them together next to me on the couch and looking at them for inspiration to keep going. Here I'll show you...

 Delightful.
 And motivating. I plan on spending the rest of the day just working on this while keeping Chloe company. Oh, and maybe, definitely eating scones. I'm sure Florence Nightingale would approve.

No comments: